About Me

My photo
Lala land, CA
Hello! I'm Alex, an early 30-something who resides in downtown LA with my husband, pup, and portly cat. I work in TV and Film, oscillating between different departments as I weave a web of a career and try to figure out how to be a better person. As a collector of beautiful things I'd like to take this opportunity to share the little things in life that make me smile...

Saturday, May 14, 2011

it's the little things that make me smile: today it's Dexter

Eleven years ago while in college in Tallahassee, FL my husband (then boyfriend) and I went to the pet store upon learning that they would give you a free kitten with the purchase of $15 worth of cat food or litter.

I choose an orange and white kitten and was walking around the pet store with him until my husband called me over to the cage with a huge grin on his face and said "look alex, this one's gnawing on one of his brother's head."  That was definitely the kitten for us. I immediately placed the orange kitty back in the cage and swooped up a tiny black and white kitten whom we'd later name 'Dexter' (after the cartoon...it was college).  At the time Dexter fit in the palm of my hand and weighed something like 2lbs...if that.  He was the cutest, most playful kitty and was a constant source of entertainment and affection.

Today I came home to find him laying in the casserole dish on top of the fridge.  With his pudgy fur overflowing the rim of the dish I couldn't help but to laugh at his ridiculous choice for a bed.  The casserole dish subsequently smashed into a million little pieces a few hours later when he decided to jump down but was worth it for the 'cat casserole' visual and the smile it put on my face.




Eleven years later and 14lbs heavier Dexter is still that same kitten gnawing on his brother's head. He play's rough - scratches and bites...but we wouldn't have it any other way (visitors to our home, however, would beg to differ).

1 comment:

  1. this is wonderful. it put a much needed smile on my face today :)

    ReplyDelete