About Me

My photo
Lala land, CA
Hello! I'm Alex, an early 30-something who resides in downtown LA with my husband, pup, and portly cat. I work in TV and Film, oscillating between different departments as I weave a web of a career and try to figure out how to be a better person. As a collector of beautiful things I'd like to take this opportunity to share the little things in life that make me smile...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Best damn chocolate chip cookies EVER!





Being the good wife that I am I love to bake for my husband (ok, and for myself).  I have tirelessly tried and tested countless chocolate chip cookie recipes and techniques in search of the BEST one. So here it is...the best damn recipe for the best damn chocolate chip cookies...crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle.


(a slightly altered/perfected recipe based on this Martha Stewart recipe




THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE:

Ingredients

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 sticks SALTED butter (room temperature)
*I prefer using salted butter and then not adding any addt’l salt
1 1/4 cups packed dark-brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
Directions
Sift together flour,  baking powder, and baking soda.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.

Using a tablespoon measurer drop a heaping blob of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.

**NOW THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: You can do one of two things to achieve pretty much the same result.  Either take a small glass, run the bottom of the glass under water and then smash the cookie dough down with the bottom of the glass (I use small ball jars) OR refrigerate the dough for 20-30 minutes.  Either of these two techniques will yield that crispy on the edges and gooey in the middle perfect cookie but I slightly prefer the pounding with a glass technique - It's more fun :)

Bake until golden around edges but soft in the middle, about 13 minutes.  DO NOT OVERCOOK or you'll loose the gooey center!!  

Let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and let cool completely.

The dough lasts 4-5 days if refrigerated and yields around 24 cookies  I usually cook about half of the dough and leave the rest to snack on as is.  I also usually make a few for myself sans chocolate chips...I call them 'Just Cookies'.

No comments:

Post a Comment